Apr 13, 2020

Mamma Monday: Priceless Art

They say that art is personal and that when choosing art for your space it should speak to you. 
One of the things I looked forward to most in motherhood was the art work Vivian would make for us.  I remember how fun it was creating pretty presents for my Mamma - give me ALL the glitter! And sure enough when Vivian brought home her first masterpiece from preschool I melted. Literally, I teared up. Bless my Mamma heart. 

So when there was a discussion at my MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) group about filtering and storing your children’s artwork I was a bit puzzled. My Mamma kept it all! She had a box for each of us.  At least that’s what I thought. After hearing their input I realized she probably did toss the scribble pieces through the years and kept the best of the bunch. 


Her first finger painting July 2019

And since she’s been in school for nearly a year I’ve created quite the pile that I’ve found myself sifting through. Gifting is a great way to share the joy! Grandparents, and the ladies at church proudly display her work on their refrigerators. 

As much as I love the art I’m not enthusiastic about the mess so I’ve left that fun with her teachers who are so creative and patient.  I also didn’t own any crafty supplies whatsoever … until now. Her school has set out an art supply cart outside every week for parents so that we can have resources at home. Sigh and this is how I came to do art at home.


Painting for Easter

Turns out it’s not so bad, but we aren’t allowed to use anything pigmented inside. 
This picnic table my Mamma got her is amazing for art.
There’s no glitter and my creative skills are lacking but it brings her great joy and it colors my world.

Rather than spend lots of money on art work by famously talented artists I’ve chosen to showcase the artists that are near and dear to me amongst my family and friends.
I prefer framing them as it’s a more polished presentation but you can also clip pieces on a string in a playroom, hang them on the refrigerator or pin them on a bulletin board. Personally I don’t like the cluttered look it gives so I store her pieces in a bin.

My Mamma is an oil painter and her sister/my aunt is also an artist.  I cherish the works they've made and hope to have more of their art in my home.

Here are some pieces I proudly display throughout our home …


This piece, created by my nephew at around age 5 is in our master bedroom.


This is a water color of the first home we ever lived in together on a military base.
A fellow Navy wife and dear friend created it for me as a going away gift. 
I am in process of having a water color done of our previous home and current home.


This one is so special. My Mamma painted it when she was in middle school I believe.
It has some tears and wrinkles but it's fabulous!
We both love to dress up and always have our hair and makeup done.
It is fittingly displayed in our guest bathroom. 


This painting was done by my youngest sister. It was part of an assignment in an high school art class to recreate a segment of Van Gogh's painting 'Sunflowers' and she chose a unique color palette that's perfect for Vivian's nursery. 


This cross painting was done by a dear friend and shop owner where she shares some of her creations.


This one is just precious and perfect for her nursery. I love her tiny hand and foot prints in colors that match her room. She made this in preschool and I'll treasure it forever.
Gracious I'm grateful for her teachers and miss them so!
I shared how I framed her heirloom dresses and displayed them in her room on this post.

Dress Your Home Beautifully in Priceless Art

XOXO Sarah-Louise

No comments: