Apr 14, 2020

Tuesday Transformation: Bye Bye Blinds - Hello Roman Shades

Last Tuesday I started this series on updates we've done to our home that are fairly quick and easy as we await the big renovations.  I believe this is important for many reasons.  Everyone wants the magazine pretty/HGTV home reveal but in reality that takes time, resources and so much money.
There's also endless design options available so it takes a great deal of searching and deliberation when deciding on finishes. I have stacks of magazines and several inspiration boards on Pinterest with examples of things I like.

We're focused on the downstairs as it's where we spend most of our time, needs the most shine and is shared with others. Thank goodness the  majority of the upstairs has been renovated recently. 
The bones and character are outstanding in our mid-century colonial (that's why we bought it) but it needed some fine touches.  The hardwoods, one of a kind moldings and large scaled layout are all details throughout that they just don't make anymore.


Windows are impactful features from the inside and out of a home.  How you dress them is equally as impactful. Our downstairs windows and doors were covered in blinds.  I detest blinds, so they had to go. Most of the blinds that were removed in the back portion of our home on the French doors and windows I'm not replacing as the unobstructed light is stunning!


Before ... Bye Bye Blinds

Blinds have been the standard window fixture for function and form for decades and while they do in fact block light and provide privacy, they're not for me. Made of plastic they appear cheap and collect dust. I prefer upscale fabrics. One of the things I miss greatly from our previous home was the beautiful custom plantation shudders.  I'd love to have them in this home however they are a significant investment and I'm not sure they would be a best fit for function and the design plan I have for our current home.


Super Easy to Install

I chose roman shades to replace the blinds and gracious what a beautiful difference!
I started in the formal living room as it's in the front of our home and where we spend a majority of our time.  The rug is a family heirloom and the foundation for the entire color palette of the downstairs and because it has such an elaborate print I needed to keep the shades simple.


Ta-Da!
I love that you can adjust the coverage of the shades

I take window treatments seriously and almost always prefer custom creations.  This can be pricey as  I would have chosen a printed fabric with trim but in this case I was able to save money opting for a solid shade with a neutral trim therefore no need to go custom. 
They balance the room with a clean and complementary look. They also darken and provide privacy but in a prettier way!

Note: Donate your blinds - while not my favorite aesthetically, they serve a very helpful function.


Every morning I wait to open the windows with Vivian so that she can look out and watch for puppy dogs to pass on their morning walks.


The morning light is so much prettier - but it's always been fun with this gal



Dress Your Windows Beautifully with Roman Shades

XOXO Sarah-Louise

No comments: