Mar 14, 2022

Closet Clean Out

Happy Monday! This weekend was super cold with some rain on Saturday making it perfect to stay home and tackle some projects.  I picked a big one, cleaning out my closet.  I actually do this twice a year when I swap out seasonal pieces and store them. 


When it comes to my wardrobe, I'm far from a minimalist!!! I have garments I've been wearing for over a decade to ones I've worn once and probably shouldn't have purchased. As seasons in our lives change so does our style needs.  Suits were a staple several years ago and now it's jeans and cute tops. 

I favor the Marie Kondo method when organizing. Decide if an item sparks joy, if so keep. If not, thank it for its service and either donate or sell. I have more than most gals, but I love each and every piece. It's not about having a certain quantity but the quality. (within reason - I do NOT condone hoarding!)

Today I want to share my tips for maintaining a stylish & tidy closet ...

1. Organize by Color & Type


I hang my garments from light to dark
and from sleeveless to long sleeve (tops & dresses)

2. Ready to Wear 


They should all be pressed & wrinkle free - if it needs ironing you may not wear it due to time and effort.
If an alteration or repair needs to be made set it aside and address promptly

3. Display Current Season


When you can see it, you'll wear it
Display your accessories, handbags & shoes along with your clothes
I do store away my off season pieces. 
There's not enough room and for over half the year I won't be wearing them.
They are easily accessible should I need to find something.
Keeping your options in sight is more intentional.

4. Fold Clothes in File Fashion


I fold my clothes in a file fashion as opposed to a stack so that I can easily see what I have. 
This allows for easy dressing and utilization of my wardrobe.
In a stack, you always makes a mess when searching/picking out a piece.
You also may find yourself only wearing the ones at the top.

5. Uniform Storage

Clearly I have a thing for nude shoes

I use thin velvet hangers throughout. I also use cream baskets for storage.
Each and every closet is unique. Find storage solutions that work for your space/items and make them uniform.  Clear containers are very nice as they allow you to see what's inside.
I also love shelf & drawer dividers for keeping things in their own space.


Dressing yourself should be fun! 
And a whole lot easier & timely when your closet is organized with pieces you love!

Dress Beautifully in a Clean Closet

XOXO Sarah-Louise

No comments: