Oct 28, 2015

Brown, Black & That 70's Vibe



Brown and black is one of my favorite pairings, but I find gals hesitate to combine the two.  Just like I don't understand why some struggle to mix their yellow gold with white/silver, I don't understand the opposition to mixing dark neutrals (it goes for navy and black too)

Unless you live under a rock you know that the styles of the 70's are creeping back into stores... fringe, flares, thick heels, and peasant tops. Personally I'm mixed.  As I've confessed to you before, I Love the fashion from the 70's and most of you cringed! But allow me to clarify.  Like with anything there is good and bad, nothing is 100% (ok there are some things but that's another post)

I'm prefer the more polished and pretty side of things.  So you won't see me embrace the boho
'flower child' look but rather the necktie blouses, high waisted skirts/pants and long vests.

Suede was huge in the 70's.  I'm all about it's soft natural texture but I'll skip the fringe element; by all means feel free to go for it in your casual/weekend wear.

This faux suede jumper is an all occasion piece with the right styling.  I naturally gave it an office appropriate look by layering a crisp white shirt, a satin neck tie bow and heeled booties.

For a laid back look, add a chunky sweater cardigan and flat boots or layer with a denim shirt.

Gals, I know Halloween is right around the corner but you never want to look like you're wearing a costume.  Incorporate pieces from a genre in a modern way by keeping them isolated to one piece and by mixing them with current pieces. You want to allude and resemble rather than look like you came from a time warp.

Add some suede, fringe, flares and big bows to your collar in bringing that 70's vibe into your wardrobe.
I also challenge you to mix your browns and blacks - it's a beautiful color palette!





Faux Suede Jumper: Target (sold out online check stores) Similar & Here  || 
Crisp White Shirt: Brooks Brothers || Booties: Similar & Here || Neck Tie: Similar and Here || 

Dress Beautifully in Brown & Black 

XOXO Sarah Louise

No comments: