Jan 6, 2016

Day Lace


Lace is a feminine, soft, textured fabric that is just so beautiful with it's intricate design yet I've struggled with it when it come to dressing myself; I embrace the delicate fabric when it comes to my vintage table linens (no doilies!)

The struggle is that it can have that old lady vibe, doesn't move/stretch much and it's primarily designed for cocktail or special occasion.

However, over the past 6 months I've seen lace with a more 'day' design in stores.  Made of cotton, with matching linings and styled casually this ladylike fabric is a lovely addition to your closet.

I hunted for quite some time for the perfect 'day' lace dress.  This one sold me as it was navy (yay for no black - it's my least favorite neutral) so I can wear it all year long, it was lined in matching navy (nude or contrasting linings are definitely for evening wear) and the fabric didn't cling and moved nicely.
Gals, nothing's worse than fabric that clings and forces you to work those abs harder than you should sucking in all day or heaven forbid you can't sit without instantly crossing your legs to avoid the dreaded rip sound. Garments should skim and float away from the body - not hug it so tight that it's practically second skin.

I also was insistent on finding a lace dress with scalloped edging.  Not that the piped hems are bad, I just prefer highlighting the floral design and nature of the lace. The sleeves are also fabulous and unexpected with their sheer elbow length.
Note: I didn't have to wear a strapless bra!  I was concerned at first and there is no way visible bra straps under that sheer lace is ok! A nude racer back bra worked perfectly as the straps went right under the lined edge.

I wore this dress for Christmas Eve church service and dinner paired with pumps and a strand of pearls.
Styled with boots, fun jewelry and a casual jacket and you're all set for day time wear.
I also encourage southern/rustic styling with a pair of cowboy boots and maybe some leather jewelry. That is definitely happening come spring!

See gals with simple changes to your shoes, and jewelry I can take this dress from fancy, to casual to even a little country.  And make it work for all seasons!

Go get yourself a lace dress and embrace your creativity in styling :)








Dress: Madewell More options here here and here || Boots: Sole Society ||
Earrings: Towne & Reese || Necklace: Kate Spade || Bangles: Hermes & David Yurman || 

Dress Beautifully in Lace

XOXO Sarah Louise

No comments: