Jun 10, 2016

Friday 5: Sweat Session

This edition of my Friday 5 is all about styling for your sweat sessions!  Because this weekend I’m headed to Atlanta with two of my best gal pals to run a half marathon!!!

Just looking at the weather report has me breaking a sweat! It’s going to be a scorching hot weekend.  13.1 miles in Hotlanta has a whole new meaning!!!
“WHAT?!!!”  ‘Are you crazy?!!’ That’s been the reaction I get when I tell people our race is this weekend.  Genuine concern and fear, stricken their faces in sympathy of the torturous run we are going to have in such high temps.

I have to confess, I had a moment of panic this week thinking about how taxing it’s going to be running in that heat.  But I can’t focus on that.  We have trained so hard and have enjoyed the challenge of pushing our bodies.  This isn’t a first for any of us when it comes to half marathons but life is different than it has been in our younger years, as we are all busier in our careers and those 2 gal each have a little. So our sense of accomplishment bears more weight as we balance increasing responsibilities.  Say a prayer for us!

Gals, I believe strongly in sweating almost every day!  Exercise is a passion of mine and something I thoroughly enjoy.  I can’t stress enough just how important it is to take care of your body. And let’s be real, the aesthetic benefits are great too!  Being in good health is a blessing, one you should never take for granted. I love challenging my muscles and strengthening my heart.  There’s an amazing satisfaction that comes with pushing your body beyond what you think you can do. 

Exercise is a personal thing.  I enjoy more weight lifting and plyometrics than I do cardio activities but I make sure I have a balance.  The key is to find what you like and do it!  There’s no magic routine or guidelines.  I will say, you have to do what works for you and what works for your body.  Maybe it’s running, spinning, playing a sport, weight lifting, swimming or yoga (man have I tried to like it but I just can’t embrace the calm!).  Maybe you like classes at the gym or maybe working out to dvd’s in your living room fits best.  Whatever you decide to do, make it a challenge! And do it several times a week – there is always time you just have to make it a priority.

Nobody ever regrets a work out! 

So in styling for your sweat sessions, it’s all about function … ok I’m not going to lie, it’s about looking good too.  Athletic apparel is the fastest and largest growing segment in the retail world.  I see people strutting around in their gym clothes every day and everywhere.  It’s not for me – I believe they are for exercising exclusively and only appropriate outside of those parameters if running quick errands directly after.  Wear real clothes ladies!

Mr picks on me for wanting specific colors and designs, but I see it this way.  If price is the same why not opt for the prettier one?! Right?!!  It makes me feel good to look good, even when sweating!

Always try on and pick pieces that are comfortable, functional and cool.

This is what I’ll be wearing to run the half marathon on Sunday…. 



Zipper Sports Bra
It’s high impact and full coverage (containment is necessary!).  Lock & Load! I prefer the zippered bras as they are easier to remove when you’re sweaty and sore.
Mesh Tank: 
Because the bra is supportive on its own, I like my tanks loose and light.  The mesh does just that and in a cool design.
Shorts: 
These are new to me as I’ve worn these Nike shorts for 15 years.  I highly recommend them!  The waist band is so comfortable, no rubbing what so ever and they have a zipper pocket in the back and two mesh ones on the side.
Shoes:
 I’ve been wearing these for 15 years also.  I’ve taken the treadmill fit tests several times and still these are the best for my feet when it comes to running.  Wear quality and what’s best for your feet and stride.
Earphones: 
These are amazing!  Upbeat tunes are the key to distract from the pain as well as keep your spirits up, distracting you from being bored.  I catch myself singing and rocking a little when a good jam comes on.

Dress Beautifully for Your Sweat Sessions

XOXO Sarah Louise

No comments: