Oct 16, 2017

Mamma Monday: Accessorizing the Bump

Happy Monday!  Most Monday's I'm mourning the loss of the weekend and return to the weekday grind but this week I'm refreshed and ready.  

This past weekend was full of firsts as I went camping in the NC mountains with some gal pals from church. See my Instagram for pics. I have never slept in a tent before much less cooked food over a fire.  But this fancy pants of a lady roughed it (there was plumbing) with the best of them.  I've been looking forward to this wilderness escape since we started planning it over the summer and I had more fun that I ever imagined.  We hiked, star gazed and enjoyed the peace in awe of the quiet beauty around us.
We also shared quite a few laughs!

Being pregnant has it's list of firsts, a long list! And they aren't all glowing. I'll say it - I'm not a fan of the physical changes! It's bad enough I throw my guts up on a daily basis and am so tired I feel as though I'm walking around with weights on my eye lids but the expansion of my figure is traumatizing.  That's a bit harsh - how about just foreign and uncomfortable. 

You see, I've been a very healthy fit person my whole life eating extremely nutritious food and killing it in the gym on a daily basis.  I truly mourn the loss of my muscle tone and ability to do high intensity exercises.  I'm still working out as much as I can but the weights aren't nearly as heavy and there are just some exercises that I just can't stomach. 
But for nearly 26 weeks Mr, friends and strangers point out that I'm much smaller than most Mammas at my stage. I know, I'm literally having a pity party but it's all relative.  
I know I'm not the only gal that misses her bikini bod and it doesn't mean I love baby girl any less - I'm just being real gals. 

So I'm going to do my very best to embrace my new figure and that means dressing it beautifully.

Since maternity dressing is so temporary and comes with limited options I find it important to style the ensembles with accessories. There are very few accessories that can not be carried from pre pregnancy - belts are pretty much it.

So here are some of my favorites for my bump or even when I don't have a bump ...




Statement Gold Earrings - I've wanted these for a long time.  If I don't get them soon I'll probably add them to my Christmas list.  I find that statement earrings draw attention upwards to the face and have an elongating effect. In gold they go with everything transforming a simple look into something snazzy.

Silk Scarf- I'm pretty sure I'm going to be bringing this one home.  I'm not a fan of big thick scarves but rather the classic silk ones.  They're lighter weight and less smothering.  I also love the vintage print and colors on this one. Worn long down the body it can make you appear taller and add interest to a solid outfit.

Locket Necklace - I have this one and it holds very special ultrasound pictures in it.  This makes a great gift too.

Fur Vest - I have this one but in pink! I purchased in my normal size and can still zip it - for now.  Mr, my sister and a few gal pals shake their head and express their unsolicited dislike of the pink fur. I don't care I love it but if you're not as forward in your style this burgundy or navy option are more neutral.  It will keep you warm while still leaving your arms free.

Plaid Poncho - for all sizes of gals in a classic simple plaid, it's a piece you will wear for years.  It's like being bundled up in your favorite blanket.  I like that this one is not so bulky and overwhelming. It's also freeing on the arms.  I'll probably get this one too, especially if it goes on sale.  This poncho is nice on days that you feel more comfortable concealed.

Bow Slides - I ordered these a couple weeks ago and love them! I went a half size up.  They remind me of a tuxedo. And though they are a bit fancy I plan to contrast them with distress jeans and a crisp white shirt.  Slides are the key to shoes for pregnant gals.  Bending is just impossible at a certain point so slip ons are a lifesaver.

Ring Crossbody Bag - I'm about to add this one to my wish list.  Ring bags are a blend of jewelry and handbags.  I like that this one has a cross body strap when you don't want to wear it like a bracelet and has an edgy look with studs.  It will be a nice touch to all my girlie pieces. I only worry it's not big enough to hold my essentials but I can't seem to find it in stores to touch.

Your accessories are a great way to express your personality and look put together.  It is hard parting with your old wardrobe but at least you can keep the extras in use!

Dress Your Bump Beautifully with Accessories

XOXO Sarah Louise 

No comments: