Oct 2, 2017

Mamma Monday: Professional & Pregnant

There are so many things that are challenging, new, unusual and uncomfortable being pregnant.  And it's different for every Mamma and every baby.

One of the challenges I faced was dressing for the office.  While my bump is still very small at 24 weeks this week! pencil skirts, sheath dresses and tucked in dress shirts were the first things I had to mourn.  My pre-pregnancy work wardrobe consists of very tailored garments, primarily wool that are not forgiving even in the beginning 'fluffy' stage. (If you've been reading along for any length of time you all ready know)
And there's the added difficult task of hiding your 'condition'.  I still feel bad for the guy who's office shares a wall with mine, he had to hear me throw up daily and he kindly never said a word.

I will say because I've been so ill these past 5 months I was probably able to go a bit longer than most before saying goodbye to my suiting.

Here are some great pieces I've purchased for dressing professional while pregnant ...


Little Black Dress - I wore this dress to my last doctor's appointment.  It's super comfortable and classy.  It's rare for me to wear black (I see that changing during this season) so I added a long strand of pearls and plan to accessories with jackets and a snazzy broach.


Pencil Skirt - I love this one because the elastic is designed to wear under the belly.  (Again not a fan of over the belly stretch although i'm going to be forced to embrace at some point) I've worn it to church with a pink silk blouse and to work last week with a white cotton peplum top, both of which were non-maternity.


Trousers - I love these!  Leggings are inappropriate in the work place and that seems to be the #1 garment out there for maternity wear. NO! What's so hard about a black pair of trousers that aren't 100% spandex but rather a nice leg skimming cut with stretch at the waist band?!!  These are it gals. They are designed in a nice tapered leg so perfect for flats or pumps.
Now, they are over the belly stretch however I just folded it down.  When I grow a bit more I'm sure they will fit like they're supposed to.
Leggings are not pants! biggest pet peeve EVER!!!!


Crisp White Shirt & Here - A staple for every wardrobe - I can't get enough so naturally it was one of the first pieces I purchased. I own 3.  My dress shirts became ill fitting in the chest long before they were too snug around my waist UGH
Since my go-to non iron dress shirts are not available in a maternity cut, I simply add a little starch to these when ironing for extra crispness. Also, I hate maternity tops with the added string to tie above your belly - why?! No need to emphasize the curvatures - they're already apparent.  I take the strings off gals.


Blouse - I love the windowpane print and navy color of this one.  I'll probably wear it this week.


Stripes - They add boldness.

As for blazers - I'm wearing what I have (I just won't button).

While your maternity wardrobe will never be as fashionable and diverse don't forget your accessories fit at any size! So add a silk scarf, bold necklace or broach.

And might I also add that shoes and handbags are great things to shop.  I find myself grumpy seeing all the new fall arrivals with their waist seams Grrrrr And then I look down and smile knowing there's nothing more beautiful that carrying our baby girl.

Dress Beautifully & Professionally While Pregnant

XOXO Sarah Louise



No comments: