Jan 27, 2020

Mamma Monday: Be Kind

Happy Monday! This post is one that I really hope encourages you but also motivates you to action.

Last week I was playing with our darling Vivian Louise and her school bus, she's completely obsessed with them and her awesome Aunt Hannah got her a toy one for Christmas. It has 2 people, a door & stop sign that opens and a button that makes a variety of sounds and songs.

One of the songs really spoke volumes to me...





“Be nice, be nice and not just once or twice. Be warm and kind to the folks you find, keeping nice stuff on your mind.”

Now gals, we aren't toddlers so we don't need lessons on good manners and being polite. However, I do believe we can challenge ourselves to do more acts of kindness.

What if we thought less about ourselves and more about others?

By doing so, we'd be honoring God's commandment to 'Love Him and Others'

Matthew 22:36-39
36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.




Acts of kindness don't come in a certain form. For example, I do NOT enjoy cooking so bringing someone a meal is low, very low, on my list. In fact when I'm sent a meal train sign up I order catering from one of my favorite local restaurants. I can't compete with the homemade meals from the good Southern Christian women of my church. So I don't and the sentiment is appreciated just the same. And I don't have to chase down my casserole dish.

But boy oh boy do I love sending an old fashion handwritten note through the mail.
Gracious, I know gals that don't even own stamps #blesstheirhearts

I want to be honest, sometimes it can feel like an inconvenience and/or sacrifice to incorporate an act of kindness in our jam packed days. None of us are sitting around all day waiting for someone to need us to do something for them. We are all working hard to accomplish the tasks before us and hopefully squeezing in some fun. 


Let's keep the doors and our hearts open to opportunities to love another and 'Just Do It'! I encourage us all not to dwell and analyze if we can move 'this' and do 'that' later. Take a quick assessment of your day/week and decide what you can do with a joyful spirit. By all means don't skip out on your job or make your daughter miss ballet. Do what you feel led/capable of doing in loving someone else.

I'm very strict when it comes to my schedule and routine but I'm working to soften and become more flexible to God's interruptions in my day.

We all have different skills, talents and capabilities. Maybe you're one of those gals that's amazing in the kitchen (my husband is green with envy) and can bless others with delicious delights or maybe you're juggling multiple children living in the suburbs so an offer to carpool is your gift or maybe you're single so a happy hour meet up with an ear to listen is your jam.



Here are 5 things I do to sprinkle a little kindness ...

1. Love Notes.

Like I shared above a handwritten note is an art I practice every single week. I have a dedicated drawer in my desk for stationary and cards. I'm constantly bringing home a box of black cards from Marshalls/Homegoods and individual cards from Trader Joes.

PSA: TJ's has the BEST! The art work is done by local artist and they're always pretty & whimsical. AND they're $0.99! #winnerwinner

If you're just way too modern for handwriting, texts and emails are sweet too. The point is to share the message!


2. Face-to-Face time.

Now this one can be one of the most challenging but it's by far the most rewarding. We often hear ourselves say 'we should get together' or 'let's meet up sometime'. Get out your calendars and actually set a date. That's how I do it. Fellowship is so important because it opens the door to bless one another. Even roaming the aisles of Target together can be so much fun. Knock out two birds with one stone.

3. Small Gifts.

While this isn't my love language I do enjoy giving small treats to others. Like my cards, I keep inventory of gifts (small candles, notebooks, soaps, scripture cards etc.) and bags that I can put together on the spot and give as needed. One of my go-to's are plants from Trader Joe's. Personally, I prefer plants over flowers because you don't need a vase, they're ready to go as is and the recipient can enjoy it for a great deal of time depending on what color their thumb is and the delicacy of the plant.


Coffee Dates are My Favorite!

4. Chit-Chats.

So many of my dear gal pals live very far away. Like the military wives I bonded with and will cherish forever and ever. While I don't give up hope on physically seeing them the reality is that those stars will rarely align. Pull out your phone on your commutes, during lunch or in the evenings and catch up. It doesn't have to be a long drawn out thing but sometimes a quick check in lifts the spirits. It also makes someone feel special when reached out to.


5. Pray

The journey of life is full of joy as well as hardships.  Often and easily our prayers are a list of our personal requests.  And He wants us to bring it all to Him.  But He commanded us to love others as He loves us. Lifting your brothers and sisters in Christ up is an act of love.  If your lines of communication are open with your friends and family you may be aware of their needs but you can't know it ALL and you don't have to,  to pray for them.  God knows.  Bring your loved ones and even those that aren't so close to Him in prayer. 


Go and be kind to others!!!

Dress Beautifully Sharing Kindness All Around

XOXO Sarah-Louise

No comments: