Jan 6, 2020

Why I Blog?

Happy first Monday of 2020. At the start of a new year we typically find ourselves examining the things we do and want to do in our lives.  Time is a blessing and we should spend it wisely. So, as I embark on my 7th year writing this blog I thought I'd share with you why I choose to spend my time writing it and what my goals are for this little online space.

The First Pic! circa 2014
Why did I ever start?

Let's begin with some backstory ...

Growing up I looked up to my mother and grandmother who always had their hair coiffed, outfits pressed and never ever left home without color on their faces.  My love of crisp white shirts and red lips came from these two influential ladies! 
It wasn't about money, gracious it was scarce when I was little, but about creating a bit of confidence that may be hard to muster and presenting yourself well.

A little over 10 years ago I was growing my career, establishing myself in my community and becoming very involved in the Junior League. Ladies everywhere I went would kindly compliment my outfits.  I was still young so it wasn't because my budget allowed me to wear anything super designer/fancy. But I was using my creative side to put together ensembles that were sophisticated and interesting.  And since Ryan and I were long distance I was able to enjoy hunting for vintage pieces on the weekends to add to my wardrobe. 

7 years ago Ryan was finishing his medical studies and we were packing up to start our years in the US Navy. Blogging was very new and I didn't really even know what it was. Social media was just Facebook (thank goodness MySpace wasn't cool anymore) and Instagram was up and coming. I had been taking pictures of my outfits every day before work in my bathroom mirror and posting them to the handful of friends I had on Instagram. 
I was leaving my career, church, and the Junior League for a very small town and culture that was completely foreign to me.  What was I going to do???!!!!

I thought back to all the ladies who begged me to help them style outfits, go shopping with them and to start a blog so they could follow along for style inspiration.  On 1/1/2014 I went out and bought a nice camera and decided to start a fashion blog.

I wanted to focus on work wear because as a corporate professional dressing the part was important and it was what I wore 5 days out of 7.  I also dressed up on Sundays for church.  It seemed  (and still does) as though all the 'it' bloggers were super young, skinny and wearing VERY casual trendy outfits.
I saw a need for showcasing style for the gal in her 30's who wanted to look polished while still having fun with fashion.

Here's some of my favorites over the early years .... (I'm now considering cutting my mane!)










Gals, I own and still wear each and every one of these pieces! I've styled them all differently over the years but that's the great thing about classics. You can see I clearly love color and am proof that work wear doesn't have to be dark and neutral.


What's the Purpose?

     The purpose of 'Dress Beautifully' is to inspire women to do just that, dress beautifully.  I have struggled liking my appearance, having self confidence and with poor body image.  Presenting yourself well in a flattering outfit that showcases your personality not only makes you feel good but portrays yourself in a manner that can open the door to encourage others. 

I want to use this blog is to inspire you to explore the design and construction of garments and styling options.  It is NOT to promote materialism. 
I want to help make you feel good about yourself! I also want to remind you that pretty is as pretty does (Thanks Mamma).  

I will also remind you & myself, that you can eat all the healthy foods, do all the hard exercises, go to amazing places, live in a beautiful home, laugh with the sweetest friends and wear all the pretty outfits BUT if you don't rest your soul in Jesus you'll never find peace and purpose! #amen

I am a real person with a distinct style, just like yours is.  I like classic pieces that will last for years so I will focus on investment purchases.  I also like to add modern pieces, in moderation. I wear outfits that I've purchased within my budget not under the opinion/influence of anyone else. It's ok if what I share isn't your cup of tea.  I promise there's a blog out there that is!

If just one gal is encouraged by something I share - mission accomplished! 


What are this blog's 2020 goals?

1. To continue to share fashion trends/concepts that are both appropriate for work and casual settings.  And to showcase how modern styles alongside timeless pieces create versatility in your wardrobe.

2. Add a little more home design. Now that we are in our forever home, I'm bursting to decorate! I've found that dressing a home is a lot like dressing yourself. 

3. To continue to share encouragement on motherhood because I am a Mamma and neglecting that aspect wouldn't be honest.

4. Hire someone to bring this website into 2020 and help grow it's platform to reach more.
I'm nearly 37 and NEED a savvy millennial (no offense) to help show me the ways!  If you know of anyone please send help asap :)


If you've been reading along for some time now, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart.
If you're new, please stay for a spell.   



One last thing, What do you want to see on Dress Beautifully?

Cheers to Year 7 of Dressing Beautifully

XOXO Sarah-Louise

No comments: